Advances in technology have changed almost every industry in the world, including dentistry. Is your practice keeping pace with the latest innovations? Many dentists operating at the forefront of their field now offer digital impressions for making precise restorations. In this article, your state-of-the-art dental laboratory, Premier Dental Arts, explores just a few reasons why we highly recommend digital impressions.
What are digital impressions, and how are they taken?
Unlike traditional dentistry, which uses a soft cast to create a mold of your teeth or bite, digital impressions create a replica of your mouth using a handheld device that captures digital images. Dental practices use lasers and other scanning devices to create these images, which can capture an extremely detailed view of a single tooth, up to and including a complete virtual model of all the hard and soft tissues in the mouth. Digital images can quickly be sent to the dental laboratory and used to fabricate restorations such as dentures, crowns, bridges, surgical guides for implants, dental implants, bite guards, and more.
The Advantages of Digital Impressions
Every aspect of the process speeds up when you choose digital impressions for your office. The patient spends less time in the dental chair while the impressions are taken. The impressions then reach the dental laboratory in moments, as opposed to the days it takes to transmit traditional impressions by the mail. That means that the production of the final restoration can begin sooner rather than later.
Here are some other reasons we recommend incorporating digital impression technology into your practice:
- Comfort: The patient can relax while digital images are gathered (no goopy impression trays to make them gag). Taking traditional impressions entails biting down on a semi-solid material, which is used to make a mold. This traditional method can be difficult for patients who have a strong gag reflex, experience sensitivity to cold, or suffer from dental anxiety.
- Precision: Digital scans produce replicas that are more exact and much less prone to error. This results in higher-quality restorations with a better fit.
- Patient interaction: Your patients can be more involved in the process because they can see the images being taken from the chairside screen. This serves a significant purpose for case acceptance because patients can actually see what is happening in their mouth like cavities forming or the need for restorative dentistry.
- Convenience: Once you take a digital impression, you’ll have access to it at any time as part of the patient’s dental records. And, because the final product is digital and not physical, it can be stored electronically, optimizing your record-keeping and lowering the total amount of paperwork passing through the practice.
- Green: Digital impressions are more environmentally friendly. Traditional impressions require the materials, as well as disposable plastic trays, all of which eventually end up in a landfill.
Many dentists have already incorporated digital impressions as part of their methods. You don’t want your practice to be left behind. At Premier Dental Arts, our system is compatible with all of the popular digital impression technologies that are currently on the market. We can accept your files and use them to create top-quality, precise restorations.
Premier Dental Arts is a dental laboratory in Kingsport, Tennessee. We work as a team to ensure we produce the best results for our clients. To learn more about our dental laboratory services or contact us directly by calling (888) 732-5221.